Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

On this page you can find the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions (FAQ) about the EMINTE Scholarship Programme. 


Definitions: What is meant by diploma, certificate/transcript, CV, statement of purpose, etc?

Official transcript of diploma or degree: Proof of graduation from university (certified),for instance bachelor, master and/or PhD. If no diploma has been issued, please submit a certified document showing your eligibility for the activity applied for.
Course record/transcript of records: Official stamped and signed document showing the courses and results (grades) of your previous studies. If you submit an official transcript of diploma or degree and the courses and results are included in that document would be sufficient.

Proof of registration: Official stamped and signed document proving your current registration at your home university. Mandatory if you are registered at a university.

Official language test: Document showing the results from an official language test (TOEFL, IELTS or similar). Please check the requirements of the university/education programme which you apply to. Note that some universities have very strict policies concerning this and if you don’t submit the required document your application may not be considered.

Resume/CV: Curriculum vitae i.e. a document that contains a summary or listing of relevant job experience and education, including information about your current occupation/studies.
Statement of purpose: A concise essay about your interests and career goals, identified means to achieve them and accomplishments so far towards those goals. We look for a short, crisp and clear statement of purpose, of maximum one page.

Description of research interests: Document showing 1) description of research interests, 2) intentions for the mobility period and how it fits into your career plan, 3) which department(s)/research group(s) you are interested in at the host university.

Plan of work: Document showing 1) preliminary work plan and intentions for the mobility period, 2) name of the department(s)/research group(s) you intend to visit, and the name of a contact person there, 3) preliminary time for visit.

Are the scanned documents sufficient or do I also have to send copies of them by regular mail?
Do not send any documents by regular mail, unless asked for it. Make sure that the scanned documents are clear (try it out by printing them), and text/logo/stamps are readable. Please note: all certificates/degrees have to be certified with the university stamps.

Can I send my documents in another language than English?
All official documents such as diplomas/course records/certificates etc., must have a certified English translation. The only exception is the copy of the passport.

Do I need to send my high school diploma when applying for studies at master (or higher) level?

Can I apply to more than one university?
Yes, within EMINTE you can apply to up to two universities in your application. Please visit the website for details.

What is meant by sending/uploading certificates/degrees/language tests? Why do I need to provide these?
Uploading documents means that you have to scan your documents and upload them in the application database. This documentation is necessary to prove that you are eligible and fulfill the specific requirements. If you wish to apply you have to make sure that all your documents are in order. An incomplete application will not be considered in the selection process. It is important to submit the results from a language proficiency test, if that is required for the programme/university applied for.

How do I know which target group I belong to?
Please see "Target groups". Supporting document motivating your target group 3 status could be UNWRA document proving refugee status, health certificate proving disability, or other relevant documents (see Target group for more information)

Can I update my application?
If you need to alter or update your personal information in your application you need to click on the link in the first registration e-mail that you received. You can do this until you have closed your application (after you have uploaded all the required documents).
If you need to delete your uploaded documents you can do this on your personal page. You can do this until you have closed your application.
You should not close the application until you know for sure that you don't want to change anything in your application. You can upload documents up to 7 days after the application deadline.

Can I apply for courses/positions, other than those listed?
No, you can only apply for those courses/positions which are listed. The available courses/positions are decided by each host university. Only PhD exchange, post-doc and staff applicants can apply with an open application in specific cases (use subject code 16.9). Read more about open applications under Application.

Do I need to make an initial registration to the host university?
No. If you are nominated, you will receive information from the host university regarding how to proceed with the course/programme application.

Can I use the scholarship to study at any university of my choice?
You can choose to apply to one of the European Partner Universities within this scholarship programme. Please see Partner Universities.

Can you give me more information about this scholarship programme and the available scholarships?
All information about the scholarship programme and available scholarships is available on this website.

I come from one of the eligible countries, but I currently live in another country, can I apply?
If you hold a university degree from a higher education institution in one of the eligible countries and you are a national of any of those countries you may apply. If you are a non-European applicant, you should not have resided or carried out your main activity (studies, work etc) for more than a period of in total 12 months over the last five years in one of the European countries (with exception of Target group 3 and staff applicants).

I am not from one of the eligible countries. Are there scholarships available for my country?
You find the list over countries covered by the Erasmus Mundus, and which university to contact for your specific country, here:

Can I apply for the scholarship although I already have started my mobility at one of the partner universities?
Yes, as long as you have not resided in Europe for more than 12 months during the last five years (exception TG3, staff).

What do I do if I can't get the results of TOEFL/IELTS before the deadline of the application?
You may upload the language proficiency results until 7 days after the application deadline to be considered in the application. If you receive the results later than that, please inform us via mail and send the scanned results via mail at the very latest 6 weeks (15 January 2014) after the application deadline to the selected universities and to us ( Please note that late results will only be taken into consideration if time allows.

I want to study at one of the partner universities, irrespective of the scholarship results, is it sufficient to apply through this website?
If you want to study at one of the partner universities, irrespective of the scholarship results, you need to check the regular application procedures through the website of the relevant university (see "Partner universities"). For most universities, the application made through this webpage is only valid, if you are selected for a scholarship within this scholarship programme. You may ask the contact person for the relevant partner university what is applicable for that particular university.

I want to apply for a Master/PhD programme in Europe but I have not finished my qualifying degree yet (Bachelor/Master), can I still apply?
Yes, but you need to state the end date of the current programme in the application form and provide a document from your home university showing your estimated date of graduation (which has to be before starting the scholarship) and the name of the expected degree.

Can I get a scholarship for internship period?
Studying abroad may include an internship period of maximum three months in the same country of the hosting Higher Education Institutions or associate organisation, provided that it is preceded by a minimum study period of three months. The trainee period should be recognized as an integral part of the student’s programme and be permitted by the hosting country regulations

I closed my application by mistake, what do I do?
You need to contact the coordination office.

I am not a national of one of the partner countries but I study in a partner university, can I apply?
You need to be an Indian national to be eligible for this scholarship programme.

I got a scholarship from Erasmus Mundus External Cooperation Window programme/previous Erasmus Mundus Action 2 programme - can I apply again?
Yes, you can apply again but only for a different level of mobility (exception staff scholarships). Please state in the application that you already received a scholarship. It is an aim of the programme to distribute the opportunity to as many individuals as possible, and candidates who have not received a scholarship in previous years will be prioritized. The only exception to this will be university staff who are involved in Higher Education Reform questions, questions of Academic Recognition, Curriculum development etc.

Do I need to present the originals of the scanned documents?
You must be prepared to show the original documents to your host university if you are nominated. The coordinating office may also request certified copies.

Can I send an application by regular mail?
No, we do not accept printed applications; we only accept applications filed in the online application system. But if you are prevented to use the online application database for some reason you cannot control, please contact the coordination office and we will try to find a solution.



How do you select the scholarship holders?
You will find information about the selection process here.

When will I be informed if I will get accepted or not?
You will be informed by e-mail at the latest six months after the application deadline.

If I am selected for a scholarship when can I start my mobility?
For specified dates, check the information regarding the course/position that you want to apply for in the application database. The dates will also be communicated to you if you are selected for a scholarship. However, all students have to start mobility latest by 31. December 2014. Only staff mobility can start later than this date. All mobility must be completed before 14 July 2017.

If I am not selected for a scholarship, how can I apply for studies at one of the European partner universities?
You can apply for studies at any of the European partner universities. You can find the webpage for each partner university under Partner Universities. Follow the relevant link to find out more about courses and programmes offered at the university of your interest and admission information. Make sure to apply in time and note that many European universities charge fees for independent students (whereas all Erasmus Mundus scholarship holders are fee waivers). If you want to go to any of the European partner universities as an exchange student, visit the International Office at your home university to find if there is an exchange agreement available between your home university and the European university in which you are interested in.


Mobility Period

Will I be charged a tuition fee?
A scholarship to cover tuition fees (when applicable) will be paid directly to the host university. With the exception of small fees to cover library costs, laboratory consumables, etc. which could be charged on an equal basis as to local students, scholarship holders cannot be charged tuition fees.

What does the scholarship cover?
The scholarship covers tuition fees, housing, living expenses, a return ticket to the host university, and full insurance cover. The Erasmus Mundus Action 2 scholarship is an individual scholarship and it only covers the cost for one person.